Thursday 12 November 2020

Raised Beds Finnished

 


It seems a long time since I started to build my raised beds and although I have been deflected onto other things I have persevered and now they are finished – well almost.

We are fortunate to have had several donations of wooden decking which has had to be removed from the balconies of an estate due to fire risk and these have been used to make the beds. There is more timber now available and it is hoped that others will use this to build their own beds and borders. The last thing we want is to see these go away in a skip or to end up hidden behind an allotment shed for that rainy day project that never seems to happen.

Was it easy – no.

Is it perfect – it is for me.

The hardest part was levelling the space which I thought was level but clearly wasn’t. Building the frames was relatively easy thanks to the length being fairly uniform and the supporting battens coming with them. It just took a lot of screws and timber paint. The tarp was was laid first then cut inside the frames and clot nailed into the frames to provide a lining for the timber and a ground cover for the paths. Existing soil was mixed with used coffee grounds on the base and then covered with a layer of cardboard which was dampened. Then came the fresh soil, compost and manure and I was amazed just how much was needed.

The tarp between the frames was then covered by some reclaimed astro turf to make clean paths.

For the observant you will see I have a flagpole on my plot. It came with the plot and is now in a bed! I grow sweet peas up this and probably will continue to do so. I could raise a flag but I am not into that and probably hang it upside down.

My plot Robin was impressed with the worms i exposed on the initial levelling but is clearly confused by the raised beds and having to eat at the table although he does appreciate that the frames give him the ideal perch to watch over the bed.

Some will say I should not have done this or that or may like the ideas and adapt them, but like many of us, I love to figure it out as I go along. Some say that they should be higher, the paths wider and the frames smaller. I say they work for me.

Next season I now can compare an ordinary plot  flat area which remains as was with these new beds. I can’t wait to get using them and helping others on the site use the timber we have.