Monday 29 June 2020

The Changing of all the Locks


It was great this weekend seeing all the plot holders. Well almost all the plot holders. We had to allocate new keys out to all in preparation for the changing of the locks today.

‘Can I have two keys please?’ I was asked.

'No sorry, but you are a single plot and as such you only get one key’ I reply.

'But I may lose it,’ came the response.

‘Look after it as the deposit is against the one key and if a second one is needed due to loss we will have to charge for it.’ I finish.

There were keys coming out of the woodwork all over. 'I lost it got a new one and then i found it so can I get my money back?'

'You only ever had one key from us and if we replaced and found it you should have given us one back.'

It can only be expected that after many years it is easy to see how how keys get passed on, not handed back, extras privately cut. ‘I got an extra cut it cost me fifteen-pounds do I get my money back if I hand it in?’ Was one request.

‘If you paid for the key at a locksmith then that’s your cost. Nothing to do with us.’ I had to respond.

The old 'security' keys on the upper plots had little security and their code restriction ran out years ago and they could and where cut anywhere. In fact, it is probable that half the problems we have today are down to copied keys and worn locks. The lower plots only had a Yale key access which could be cut anywhere.

Today we have drawn a line under the sand and the new keys are fully secured and only should be cut with the registered code and card. We even etched unique numbers on the shaft of every key to help identify ownership on the register.

One great thing about the process was meeting every plot holder and reminding myself who was who, also listening to what some had to say about their plots and the site. The vast majority was positive with just a few issues surfacing which will need to be looked at. I only wish we could get the same turnout at the AGM or be able to see everyone on a regular basis.

Yes there were some language challenges often lost in translation, but Google Translate is pretty good at converting English to Mandarin.

We are very fortunate to have a large allotment pavilion with two doors and plenty of chairs to create a social distancing snake to aid queuing. However there was the one plot holder who said that they  were now safe having had the virus and I watched as all in the room quickly take two steps backwards. Interesting times we live in and the real dangers we continue to have to be alert to.

The second achievement this weekend was that we finally went cashless. No more hours counting the pennies and trying to reconcile a mountain of cash. We only took money deposit on second keys which were only available to duo plots were two folk worked a plot. This was a twenty-pound deposit and wasn’t taken up by all but itself help contribute against the overall cost. Many paid in advance by agreed bank transfers into our account, others paid on the day via our new SUMUP mobile card reader. It was so easy to take the deposits over the card reader and issue receipts via their email account or via text to their phone. Payments are going to be so simple going forward. No more cash and all seemed to welcome it.

Yesterday I got home and was just relaxing with a cuppa when the mobile pinged saying ‘you got mail.’

There on my mobile was a picture of a bust lock in someone’s hand and a message saying the old lock was bust. I looked at Annie who rolled her eyes. The life of an allotment Chair's other half is often tested.

Annie, Lottie and I donned our coats and set off together to the allotments.

‘Do we have to go?’ asked my faithful whippet Lottie.'I might rain.'

‘Yes,’ answered Annie. ‘We haven’t seen much of him all weekend as it is.’

I kept quiet and my head down as this was obviously not the time to defend the trip out.

We arrived and I soon sorted the issue out and restored the lock to be fully working. It is somewhat amazing that the lock knew it was his last day and decided to eject its bolt in some sort of last minute protest.

Today is the big lock changeover. I can almost predict the phone calls I will get this week from the few folk who didn’t collect their keys or took the wrong key to the plot. It can be a thankless task looking after the allotments and can’t wait to get our Secretary and our Site Manger back from self-isolation.

'One more day and then we'll be back to the plot.' I tell Lottie as we set out to the allotments once more.