Thursday 25 June 2020

The benefits of Early Morning Watering at the Plot



‘Why are we going out so early?’ Lottie asks.

‘Got to water the allotments, it’s going to be very hot today’ I reply as I unlock the gate to the upper plots.

‘Why are so many people here when they should be in bed?’ my faithful whippet Lottie asks as she starts to count the people already there, watering their plots.

‘It may be only 7am but some have already been and gone’ I say looking around and counting the plot holders dotted all around busy, watering in the cool morning air.

We stop and chat to my Vice Chair who is off later on to attend to the Canary Wharf allotment at the Crossrail station. Yesterday I got my diary all mixed up went to Canary Wharf to help out and rang her to ask where she was to be told, ’It’s tomorrow not today.’

I can’t make today so I’ll leave it to her and the volunteers.

As I leave the plots, more folk are turning up and I speak with Alan who is one of our oldest plot holders and well into his 80s. ‘Shouldn’t you be home and in bed?’ I ask.

‘I will be when I’ve watered my plot’ he replies.

Lottie and I walk down to the lower plots passing the farm which is just wakening up. In the field with the goats are three foxes lying smack in the middle of the field sunbathing whilst the goats occupy the edges watching them. It may look dangerous for the goats but I am sure they can deal with Freddie and his pack, and anyway they are only there to catch the early sun and will soon be off.
When we get to the lower allotments, we find we have it to ourselves.

‘Are we staying long?’ asks Lottie.

‘Just long enough to water and get tonight’s salad and some flowers’ I reply tying her to her bench and fetching her pillows from the shed.

I turn to see another of Freddie’s scrawny thin furred foxes quickly wake from his slumbers at the back of the plot and scurry off away from us.

Watering this time of day is different to watering last thing at night or during the day. You can hear the plants suck in the water, slash it all over and ready themselves for another baking day. They say a good breakfast sets one up for the day, and perhaps the same applies to plants too.

As soon as the salad is watered the snails climb to the top to see what is going on. It’s strange they only live in the one lettuce row although these are surrounded by rocket, basil, salad bowl and lorra rosso lettuce. It’s great, as they surface with their little houses on their backs I can pick them out and send them on a sky diving expedition over to the rough patch behind number nine. It’s only fair to move them on as they probably have a large mortgage on that house. The removal follows the 20 metre safe distance rules for snails and slugs and I doubt that they will be able traverse the terrain back here.

The patti pans and yellow courgettes and some tomatoes are picked, and lettuce cut and all put into there respective yogurt tubs for taking home and surprise my wife Annie.

I cut some sweet peas and tie them into a small bouquet. Sweet peas just love to be cut and every day the same number are ready waiting to be taken home. Finally, I cut some sunflowers.

‘We off now?’ asks Lottie jumping down off her pillows and looking impatiently at me.

A few minutes later we are leaving just as some other plot holders are starting to arrive to do their watering.

‘I wondered where you were?’ greets us as we arrive home to Annie my wife, who has obviously just got up and was trying hard to focus on us and the daylight surrounding us. Lottie gives her a warm lick and looks towards her bowl to try and kid her that she hasn’t had any breakfast. I present a huge bag of goodies and a large bouquet of sunflowers.

‘They for me?’ asks Annie smiling and giving me a kiss on the cheek and a hug.

‘I knew there was a good reason for watering early in the morning,’ I say to Lottie quietly over Annie’s shoulder. She turns, realising there is no second breakfast, and goes to find somewhere among her many beds to have a morning nap.