Monday 15 June 2020

Climate Chaos at the Plot




‘I think this is my last season on the plot’ says Robin.

He looks genuinely concerned. He sits perched opposite my bench and is looking at me and ignoring Lottie who is fast asleep next to me.

‘Have we upset you? Done something to offend you? Has someone promised you more grubs and feeding sessions?’ I ask not wishing to lose my red breasted feathered companion.

‘No, it’s not you or Lottie, but I have been reading what the ‘Birdman’ wrote about Climate change on the allotments’ replies Robin.

‘Climate change? Why will that affect you?’ I ask wondering what our friend and committee member Chris has written that has filled Robin’s tiny head with concern. Chris is referred to affectionately by our feathered friends as the ‘Birdman’ because he religiously feeds half the birds in Docklands. The ring-necked parakeets even fly North over the river just to eat at his bird table! I think they have awarded him a 5-star rating.

I look at Lottie, but she is either pretending to be asleep and guilty or just unconcerned and dreaming of chasing squirrels.

“Where will you go?’ I ask.

‘West, away from London and the South East. He says here it’s going to be like Barcelona and the swifts and swallows have told me all about the heat and dry conditions there and frankly it’s not for me. It’s bad enough not knowing from one month to the next what the weather is going to be like, but Barcelona I don’t want.’ Robin’s concerned face has turned to one which looks firm and determined. ‘You know I am known all over as the Christmas bird and have my photo taken in the snow for those cards and calendars.’

‘What snow?’ I reply with my tongue firmly against my cheek.

‘Exactly!’ Robin says with a firm nod of the head.  

I remind myself about Chris’s article and the genuine concerns he expressed about what he called Climate Chaos, human induced change, where the seasons and weather had become less predictable and increasing extremes of weather often depended on where you live. London and the South East was becoming progressively hotter and drier than the rest of the UK and the impact that has on what, when and how you grow produce on the plot. Did we now have all year-round growing seasons where the milder ‘winter’ enables us to still produce much of what we would have not thought possible a few decades ago albeit more slowly?

Your gardening calendar is often established where and when you start to garden. Mine was in Sheffield and in an area that experienced clear seasons and conformed with those sowing and growing charts. I then moved to Aberdeen which was very different and had one very short but productive season but a weird summer phenomena called the ‘har’ where sea mist would often envelop the coastal area for much of the day but the nights were very short. Then in Hampshire a more normal garden calendar but with mild winters. London is very different again and because the allotments are in the heart of the City where the winters are very mild and I rarely get a frost and you could describe the seasons as Early Spring, Late Spring , Summer, Late summer, Autumn and a very short Winter.  

Succession sowing, growing, and harvesting is possible, but it has to be thought through a lot more than in the wetter West, the colder North or even the more exposed rural areas. When folk say, ‘Is it too late to sow, or too early to put out?’ I find myself wishing it was that simple and just the same as those gardening calendars and bibles we want to follow. When the magazines tell you what jobs need doing this month or Monty Don tells you jobs to do this weekend, are they seriously saying we are all the same? I often sow later and harvest sooner and any mistakes can soon be rectified whereas some areas have one shot. I can sow some vegetables late and they will grow slowly all winter and can be picked throughout the winter. I find that plants which would require protection or bringing indoors over the cold, damp and frosty winter can survive outdoors. 

Mediterranean plants like Geraniums happily survive winter as they do in the natural habitat. The only killer is snow and that is so rare in London and when it does, it’s a few flakes and gone as fast as it came. This again changes what and how you grow. My neighbours’ Kiwi plant has been laden with flowers this year and hopefully fruit later and sits on top of a bank and over an arbour and has no protection over winter.

Chris says he has a new second spring in September when he is busy planting all his winter veg: onions, garlic, spinach, chard, winter lettuce, rocket, lambs lettuce, winter radish, land cress, pak choi and other oriental winter veg. And this is also the beginning of the season for him to start picking the earlier planted leeks, beetroot, turnip, daikon, kale, chard etc. In late winter and early Spring, he has wonderful crops of early veg at a time when most gardeners are barely sowing seeds, let alone picking harvests.

At our allotment we have a large local Chinese and Vietnamese community who grow crops all year round, covering their rows of vegetables in rows of small ‘tunnels’. This market garden style is very productive, and the produce grown can be very exotic but demonstrates how they have adapted their skills and knowledge to the new environment.

Our site is also surrounded semi wild urban farmland which itself supports a huge biodiversity often missing in urban areas. However, ensuring the land keeps giving and can produce for longer and variable seasons is both an educational and practical challenge. Soil must be enriched, and the nutrients taken out put back. Its balance of life it supports must be maintained and maybe we must live with some foes to do this. You cannot work the same piece of land year after year, season after season without replenishing what has been taken out. It was the Agricultural Revolution of the 18th century which introduced the move in crop rotation, the principles of which we all follow today on our plots. But perhaps the current Climate Chaos is making us rethink and adapt this to the new environment we find ourselves growing in.
‘So when are you leaving did you say?’ I ask Robin.
‘Not sure, maybe I’ll stay a bit longer but I will need a supply of sun cream and sunglasses and some new photos without the snow’ Robin replies as he hops down to examine a patch of soil for his lunch.
We all must learn, adapt and adopt to what is clearly a changing growing ecosystem.  

I am indebted to Chris Parrish for his article ‘Urban Gardening in the Anthropocene’