Friday 30 October 2020

Virtual National Allotment AGM and New Job

 


On Saturday we sat patiently waiting looking at our laptop waiting for the National Allotment Society’s (NAS) AGM to Zoom into action.

‘Time for walkies,’ said Lottie as she sat by my side, staring wantonly up at me.

‘Not today. Mummy is taking you out this morning. I’ve got an AGM to attend’ I replied.

She gave me a whippet lost look and ambled back to her bed, flopped down inside and stared back at me with a disappointed look written all over her face.

I click back to the screen which says, ‘Please wait, your host will let you in soon.’ How does the host know Iam here? Why can’t they just ping me and say ‘Hello Martyn, hang on in there we have you logged in to join.’  

For someone who made a living exploiting technology often at the cutting edge and was one of the first to use Skype to communicate with colleagues in US, Australia and then India, I find Zoom frustrating and awkward. I realise it has fast become the conferencing platform of choice. Nodding heads, folk shuffling around and poking their nose not realising we can see them and then the doorbell rings and Zoom hands them the mike!

Another glance at the screen tab and the same, but only 15 minutes to go before 100 nodding heads become exposed and business starts. As we ponder whether to have Zoom, up it pops, and before we know it we have three galleries of 25 mug shots.

The meeting went remarkably well and cleared the agenda and closed promptly on time and was a credit to NAS in their organising. You can certainly hold an AGM if the majority of members are connected and the agenda is kept basic and open discussions are minimised.

So I am now London Region’s Regional Representative as elected by a flurry of waving red cards.

This will change my focus, time and engaging with and learning from as well as representing the London members. Should be demanding and rewarding, but more of that in days and weeks to come. The big question is whether I can continue to write these articles. Again, for tomorrow not today.

However, about these articles. We now have published 100 articles on a wide range of allotment matters and life which have attracted over 22,000 links through to be read, hundreds of Facebook discussions and reactions.

Lottie returns from her walk and runs up to see what I have been up to. Where are all the folk you were meeting with?’ she says looking confusingly round the room.

I reply pointing to the laptop, ‘In there.’

She looks at me and then at the laptop, @You can’t smell them,’ she says and walks away.

A dog’s life thankfully remains devoid of technology and AGMs.