Tuesday 21 April 2020

You’re on Allotment TV ‘Tomorrow’ Lottie - Take 2



Having filmed all day at the allotments I started to get calls and emails from fellow plot holders, friends and Lottie’s fellow whippets. ‘When is it on TV? What show is it on? What time will it be on? Does Lottie get full credits?’

You feel it only proper to warn folk you are going to be on TV. Well you wouldn’t want them to miss such an informative piece, would you?

After informing everyone I ever knew, exhausting the Christmas list, befriended all those I  had previously unfriended and made sure all Lottie’s friends and those she occasionally sniffed knew, we sat down to watch the show. It was billed as featuring an allotment ‘hero’ and Lottie was rather taken by the title and had found a new air of confidence.

‘Did you tell Elm Tree?’ Lottie asks. ‘You know that was the last time is was on TV. Prime time you know on ‘The Apprentice’. I lied and said, ‘of course,’ and she had already demanded we watch it again last night to witness her 5 seconds of fame. But she did look good!

The show started.

It was one of these fast-moving magazine live shows which frankly was all over the place and featured Angela Rippon as a talking head stuck in isolation and Mr Motivator resurrected and looking like you would expect after all those years off screen. There was no mention of allotments, Lottie or anything about, ‘on the show tomorrow...’

We were deflated, Lottie’s agent rang and wasn’t happy, the extras from the allotments rang asking what had happened, and we received a stream of emails asking if we had dreamt the whole thing up. I started to wonder myself.

Next the BBC said they had a drop out at the last minute and things were being rescheduled for tomorrow.

This time the list of those told was somewhat smaller. After all they can watch it on catch up.

The next day came. Lottie and I went for our walk and rushed back to watch our new favourite TV show.

Just as we raced in to take our place on the sofa in front of the TV, Annie greeted us,  ‘BBC rang the piece has been shifted again, probably Thursday or Friday. Do you want to ring them?’

Lottie looked at me and sulked off to her bed. I picked up my book and the TV was switched off.

Thursday came, nothing. Friday again nothing. I emailed the BBC contact to be told it was being rescheduled for Tuesday next week. I didn’t bother to tell anyone, and Lottie hung her head the whole weekend.

There comes a point when you don’t believe it will happen so get on with everything else. So on the Monday I went off to the bank.

My phone rang whilst I was travelling, ‘You’re on the telly, right now.’ an excited Annie exclaimed.

‘Are you watching it?’ I asked 

‘Yes, mum rang to say Martyn is on the TV. So I switched it on and there you were.’

‘Is Lottie watching?’  

‘Yes but she hasn’t seen herself yet and is going on about Monty Don’s dogs not being cut out of shot. I’ve told her that they probably get paid and are on contract. She wasn’t impressed with your negotiating skills.’

Annie went on, ‘I’ve got most of it on camera so you can see it when you get home. It come across really well.’

The phone started to ring, and SMS messages started to arrive. It appears others had more faith than I did that it would be screened, or they had just switched on to watch Mr Motivator.

Anyway, Lottie was happy in the end as they did get her backside as she trotted in the allotments behind me. ‘Nice shots of the allotments,’ she remarked and then went off for her afternoon siesta.
At the end of the week they BBC canned the show. Lottie says she thought My Motivator was a bad idea.
A special thanks to all who were involved in the filming at the allotments and the hard work undertaken as all we continue to buddy up and support others.