Wednesday 15 July 2020

Foraging, Liquid Feed and Garlic Spray



My faithful whippet Lottie and I walk to the plot along the well-worn path at the top of the old railway line through the Farm. On either side the path is straddled with nettles four feet high or brambles now full of blackberries starting to turn and inviting to be picked. It’s as if someone came down here with a machete and cut the overgrowth back. It now takes a good extra 15 minutes to get to the plot and often a good half hour getting home.

‘Can we get a move on?’ asks Lottie impatiently.

I reply, ‘Just got to pick some more Blackberries.’

‘You already have a pot full!’

‘Yes, but you have to pick them when they are ready.’ I reply quickly withdrawing my hand from a very thorny bramble which didn’t take kindly to being pushed aside.

Lottie sniffs at a clump of grass at the side of the path and mumbles, ‘You mean before anyone else gets them.’

‘I heard that…’

I look at the extra large yogurt tub full of blackberries and decide maybe it is time to quit and leave the rest till tomorrow. After all they are all starting to turn so there will be plenty more. It’s as if the brambles never stop giving and we just need a spot of overnight rain and more blackberries will plump up and be ready for me to pick this week.

‘Come on then.’ I say to Lottie as I squeeze into my bag the pot of blackberries and pick it up, now bursting with new potatoes, French beans, salad and some sticks of rhubarb.

‘I don’t know when you are going to eat all that lot.’ declares Lottie and she trots obediently behind me.

‘We’ll freeze some and eat the rest.’ I reply feeling the weight of the large plastic bag and hoping the straps will hold on till we get home, otherwise it will not live up to what is says on the side, ‘a bag for life’.

This afternoon we took a different route to the plot and one that Lottie likes – down squirrel alley. The cinder bridle path here is heavily shaded either side by trees and under these there is a sea of nettles. Squirrels are often to be found darting from tree to tree and traversing the path to explore the other side. Of course, other folk are taken by these furry rats and feed them nuts and take selfies with them posing in the background. The squirrels love the extra food, often do tricks in return for some nuts and like the attention that they are given.

Lottie has other ideas and believes these are her toys to be caught. She ignores the couples busy ‘coo cooing’ at the little squirrels and taking their selfies with them. She also ignores the little child with their parents trying to converse with the squirrels in some weird gibberish. Really, as if you can talk to animals!

‘Come on, leave the squirrels alone today,’ I say to Lottie who by now is transfixed, staring at her prey.

There is no response and then she is off with cinder dust in her wake and at a speed only a whippet can attain. The child is now frozen at the sight of a whippet in full stride. The parents take a sharp intake of air and hold their breath.

The squirrel quickly turns and leaps onto the tree trunk sinking in those claws and then quickly scurrying up to safety. Lottie skids to a halt and lets out a defiant bark, ‘Ok, next time!’

Everyone is relieved, the parents breathe again, the child now looks admiringly at Lottie who now wanders off looking for the next squirrel and the squirrel catches his breathe, his heart racing as he stares down on all of us.

Lottie has never caught a squirrel yet and long may that continue. The thought of what she may do to it is not for the faint hearted and her toy dog and its stuffing will testify to Lottie’s carnage.

A bit further down the path I get out my gloves and secateurs and start to cut some nettles and pop them into a plastic bag.

‘You can’t eat them!’ Lottie says looking at me with a quizzical look.

‘I’m not going to eat them, but I am going to make nettle soup.’

‘Nettle soup?’ says Lottie now wondering if she should she go back to her hunting of those squirrels or try to understand if I am going mad.

‘It’s like comfrey soup and for feeding the plants,’ I respond.

‘I hope it smells better than that comfrey,’ Lottie says pulling a face as if she has just eaten some lettuce.

I decide to avoid the question and keep cutting the nettles.

When we reach the plot I twist the leaves and steams to bruise them and place them in a bucket weighed down with a brick and cover them with water. I put this at the back of the plot so Lottie and I will not be able to smell the soup as it slowly turns into a boggy mess. After a few weeks I will then apply it as liquid feed diluted in water 1:10 or spray as a foliage feed diluted 1:20. At that point I think I may leave Lottie at home as her sense of smell is far greater than ours and the tirade of objections may be hard to deal with. The plot will smell like a farmer has just sprayed slurry all over it and I hope I can get home without passing too many folk.

Finally, I am reading that Garlic spray can combat many little bugs that do their best to literally eat your lunch.

You just crush three cloves and add to a pint of water. Let it stand for a couple of days then strain it into a spray bottle and store in the fridge. When you apply take care to avoid getting it near your eyes and hands, and hold your nose!

Apparently, it is best applied in the evening and by the morning the plot will not smell as if a group of French travellers have stayed the night!

Maybe I will give the garlic spray a miss for now as the smell of garlic and nettle soup may be a bit too much for the neighbouring plots.