Monday 6 July 2020

The Colour Flies onto the Plot


All our smaller flying friends have arrived on the plot. No not the birds, but the colourful flies, bees and ladybirds.

We first spotted a dragonfly a few days ago and he was big and just took up residence on the red cabbage and took in the rays. These are like the giant military Chinook helicopters but without that constant rotor blade noise which always reminds me of the opening sequence to the film, Apocalypse Now. They look like some prehistoric beast with their large heads and eyes, long bodies and those Leonardo Di Vinci inspired wings. This one was extra-large but not as luminescent as some of the others flying around.

Today all the family went to the plot - Annie, our whippet Lottie and me. We were only going to water the greenhouse but an hour later with a bag of lettuce, rocket, courgettes, spinach, kale, chard, French beans and some fruit I asked, ‘Do you want any flowers?

Annie smiled, tilted her head and said, ‘Yes please.’

‘Sweet peas?’

‘Yes please.’

‘Cosmos?’

‘Yes please.’

‘Gerbra?’

‘Do you mean the masses of Orange and yellow flowers?’

‘Yes.’

‘Well they are a must.’

‘Sunflowers?’

‘Maybe not today.’

‘Crocosmia?’

‘Not today.’

It’s like going to a florist and picking over all that is on offer.

With my order in, off I went with my scissors in one hand and a ball of jute in the other. I always tie the flowers into little bouquets so then can sit inside my large old yogurt pots in my bounty bag for the journey home. To me it’s about bringing home the colour and fragrances off the plot, but Lottie says she believes cutting flowers brings home my feminine side and I should stick to the spuds.

As I collect the various flowers, I spot a couple of ladybirds nestling in an unopened sunflower bud. They won’t get much there I thought and carefully tipped them into my hands and carried them across to the French beans. Here I deposited them in among a patch of black aphids and I think I made their day. It certainly made mine with the thought of them chomping through the little black bugs and avoiding me having to take action myself. As I looked down the string, I noticed there were already a couple of ladybirds busy banqueting out. I bet that bean is bug free tomorrow!

‘What’s so interesting?’ I ask as I return to the bench to find Annie and Lottie staring across to my neighbour’s shed. I am looking after her plot whilst she is shielded and wondering if Freddie Fox is asleep under the Squash plants.

‘Schh!’

‘What is it?’ I ask
.
‘Butterfies.’

‘They can’t hear us.’ I comment.

Annie says, “We don’t want to disturb them.
   
I look over the my neighbour's shed and a clump of flowering Marjoram and see half a dozen butterflies adorning it. I fumble in my pockets for my phone so I can photograph them. It’s often crazy you see something and next minute it’s gone and the photo with it.

I approach gingerly down the path with four eyes burning in my back as I approach the back of the plot with camera app poised to click. Quickly, I spread my fingers to get the zoom on to the plant and having final found them in the frame I take a picture.

There is a Peacock, a Red Admiral and two Comma butterflies all feasting on the nectar and oblivious to me. A Large White tries to get in on the picture but senses danger and alerts the others. I hate the White large and small and they are the reason all the broccoli and cauliflower plants are living behind nets. The Red Admiral flies off and I decide to leave them to drink in peace.

I think allotments are fascinating natural habitats and amazed what makes it to and resides on the island, it being surrounded to the west, south and east by the Thames and north by Canary Wharf and its towers.

I think the Peacock was my favourite.